Thursday, July 21, 2011

God's BFF?




I passed a local church with a sign out front today. On one side, it said, "You are God's BFF." On the other side, it said, "Accept God's friend request."

Hmmm.

I get the current social media references and it all may be true, but something about the messages seemed to trivialize something that's very precious to me. I am God's friend. But He is also Lord of the universe.

Does God request our friendship? Perhaps so, but the transaction to purchase our friendship and our sonship came at a huge personal cost (to Him). The sign makes it sound like something of an invitation to a party, not a life of sacrifice, growing love, and service. The emphasis seems to be in the wrong place. Instead of what we are to Him; salvation is all about what He is.

Maybe I'm taking it too seriously. Someone may drive by, read the message, drop in for a Sunday service and a life will be changed.

Or maybe not.

What about you? Do you like the message? Why or why not?

Harry

3 Comments:

Carmen said...

From a Christian perspective, I see it as an invitation to salvation. We are enemies of God (though He still loves us) until we accept His friendship (salvation) through Christ. I understand that perspective.

Does a non-Christian get it that way? They may check it out and find the Lord. Or not.

Harry Kraus said...

Very true, Carmen. That's a nice way to look at it. I suppose the people responsible to put something on the sign are challenged to find something that will meet the perfect balance...inviting, but not cheesy.

I have the same struggle looking for titles for my novels. I want inviting; not cheesy. Something people will remember, but not so witty that it comes off as plastic.

Mocha with Linda said...

I like the sign in the picture you posted. I don't like the BFF one. If it said "Let God be your BFF" I'd be okay with it. I'm with you on the whole "direction" thing. God takes the initiative, but the focus is on Him, not on us.

I totally agree with the trivializing that is so rampant today. I understand that I am God's child. But I still cringe when I hear people say "Who's your daddy?" and address him as such. A man in our church often begins prayers with "Sir. . ." and I love that.

But then again, I've always struggled with grace because I was brought up in such a strict legalistic home. It's hard to find the middle ground. Pendulums tend to swing wide.