Thursday, October 21, 2010

Soul Resuscitation

I often tell people that the non-fiction I write is what I need to read. I certainly don't write from a pedestal, letting all the small people around me in on some wonderful revelation I've had. I write about grace, because I'm a grace recipient and because I need grace every moment.

For some time now, I've been talking about the ABCs of soul resuscitation, moving from a need of the Gospel in my life to a place of joy, satisfaction, and peace (the grace-saturated life). I'm in need of the Gospel or in a state of "gospel debt" when I find myself in anxiety, guilt, fear, or bitterness (or any number of other negative situations) and in that state, I need to nudge my soul back into grace-saturation. I wrote about this in my book, Breathing Grace, so it may be a concept you've heard before. This past weekend, I was speaking on the theme of God's grace and soul resuscitation and the ABCs that are used as a little memory jog. This parallels the ABCs of physical resuscitation (Airway, Breathing, Circulation) to move a patient from oxygen debt or oxygen need to oxygen saturation.
The ABCs of soul resuscitation are A: Acknowledge your need, B: Believe the Gospel, and C: Communion, allowing the truth of the Gospel to circulate to every part of your life.
It occurred to me that I could use different labels for this resuscitation. Instead of ABCs, perhaps I'll just need to call it the 123s. Step one: Stop! Step two: Run to Jesus. Step three: Fall in his arms.
Maybe it doesn't flow off the tongue as easy as stop, drop, and roll, but the next time I find myself in need of a jolt of grace, (let's say I catch myself in a state of worry), I'm going to whisper it to my soul. "1. Stop!--I'm in need of the Gospel right now, Lord. 2. Run to Jesus--find in him everything I need. What part of the Gospel truth or Gospel fallout am I not experiencing or believing in my state of anxiousness? 3. Fall in his arms. I need to abide in his presence to experience his life flowing through me.

Just another way to combat a recurrent problem of mine. When will I live my life 24/7 in a state of grace-saturation? Maybe never this side of heaven, but I'm on a narrow path.

Come with me.

Harry Lee

Add your comment