Friday, July 4, 2008

How BIG is Jesus?

I'm going to say something crazy. I think my Jesus is way too small.
WHAT??
Offensive statement, I know, but hear me out. I'm not talking about the real Jesus when I say he's too small, just the inadequate image of him that I'm acting as if exists.
Let's start with the facts. I know from John chapter one that Jesus ("the Word") was present from the beginning of time and was the creative force behind the Universe. "...without him was not anything made that was made. (1:3)
Consider something we know about the Universe. Thirty-two million light-years away is another galaxy (one of billions) that is perched at a beautiful 90 degrees to our own, giving us an awesome view of the "swirl" and thus our scientists call it "the perfect spiral galaxy."
Light travels at 186,000 miles a second. Take a breath and pause for two seconds. Light just traveled 372,000 miles, a distance equal to traveling around the earth 15 times at the equator. Wow. Now figure going that fast for not two seconds, two years or two thousand years or even two million years, but travel at light-speed for 32 million years and you'll finally arrive at the Perfect Spiral galaxy. I can't begin to wrap my small brain around such distance.
Yet Jesus spoke and stars and galaxies like the Perfect Spiral Galaxy just appeared!
I'm getting ready to make yet another transition from Africa to the US for furlough. Dare I get anxious over not knowing the future? What do my anxious thoughts speak to others about my concept of Jesus?
Is he smart enough, big enough to create and run the Universe? Or too small to handle my worries?
What if I feel guilty about some past sin? What does that say about my concept of Jesus?
Is he big?
Or have I underestimated him yet again?
Who is Jesus to you?
Cute little Baby in a manger?
Or Lord of the Universe, the one who spoke and stars appeared?

3 Comments:

Terry said...

Dear Dr. Harry Kraus
Just came from Jel's. Just coming at her request to say "hi" to the "new blogger" in town!
After reading your profile, I noticed that you are living in Africa.
Many years ago when the Golden family were living in Rivers, Manitoba, 33 miles from Brandon, there was a young nurse who took it upon herself to drive one mother and nine children to Sunday School each week, traveling two round trips [about 130 miles total] .
That young lady had her sights on Africa and she asked her BIG God to send someone along to look after the Goldens the Lord sent somebody to look after taking the Goldens to Sunday School, and when someone was sent, Marion Ronald left and went to Zambia where she has been now many years...about 40 I would guess.
She works for people that are sick with Aids.
Such deep dedication to the Lord will never be overlooked, eh?
Nice to meet you!....From Mrs. Teresa Shirkie...

We loved to sing when we were children this song written by Stu Hamblen.

How Big is God?
(God's small enough to live within my heart)

Though men may strife to go beyond the reap of space
To crawl beyond the distant shining stars
This world's a room so small within my Master's house
The open sky's but a portion of his yard.

How big is God, how big and wide is His vast domain
To try to tell these lips can only start
He's big enough to rule his mighty universe
Yet small enough to live within my heart.

As winter chill may cause the tiny seed to fall
To lie asleep till waked by summer's rain
The heart grown cold will warm and trod with life anew
The Master's touch will bring the glow again.

How big is God, how big and wide is His vast domain
To try to tell these lips can only start
He's big enough to rule His mighty universe
Yet small enough to live within my heart.

(God's small enough to live within my heart...)

Tom said...

Dr. Kraus,
Welcome. I too am visiting from Jel's page. Great to have you blogging. I'll check back soon. Thank you for all you are doing.

Tom

Harry Kraus said...

He's big enough to rule His mighty universe
Yet small enough to live within my heart.

So well said. This is the mystery that Paul refers to: Christ in you, the HOPE OF GLORY!

Well said, sis!