Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Security Concerns



There has been a lot in the news about this place. My country of residence's army has invaded their neighbors to the north east to try to root out the religious extremist group that has been slipping across the border to spread their reign of terror. So, of course, there have been threats of reprisal. Two attacks in the capital yesterday. Warnings to stay away from public places such as restaurants and shopping malls. For the first time, I've seen armed police patrolling our hospital grounds (armed but wearing flip-flops!) so I know the government is concerned.
And of course, my friends are writing, expressing their own questions about our safety, their concerns that we are well.
We are safe. Relatively.
We pray. We trust. We try to obey what God has called us to do. (That calling is also for you, by the way, because the Great Commission isn't just for those of us who have decided to cross cultures and oceans for the sake of the gospel. It is for all Christians.)
We follow common sense precautions.
But friends, we have made a choice. No one forces us to take risks.
Other risks exist for me. This week alone, I've done four major abdominal operations on patients with AIDS. Sure, I take precautions, wear two pair of gloves, eye protection etc., but there is always the risk of an inadvertent needle-stick.
What could possibly motivate me to leave the relative safety of America, expose myself to the threat of terror and the risk of deadly virus contraction?
The joy of sharing the good news of Christ and having one of those AIDS patients confess new-found faith in the cross.
I want to see God treasured in the hearts of all people.
I am reading more of David Platt this week. This morning, from his book, "Radical Together," I read:
"God has called us to lock arms with one another in single-minded, death-defying obedience to one objective: the declaration of his gospel for the demonstration of his glory to all nations. This is God’s design for his people, and it is worth giving our lives to see it accomplished."
Sometimes I think that those who warn me to avoid risk don't believe in the reality of hell. Don't they believe that there are some things for which it is worth exposing ourselves to risk? How about the risk of spending an eternity without Christ (not for me, I'm certainly not doing this because I'm trying to win a spot in heaven, but for those I've come to serve)?
We follow the lead of Christ. He risked everything for me. I love him. I want others to love and cherish him, too.
And that's worth risking my life for.

6 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Well stated, Harry! And as much truth about God's claim on our lives as ever. I am praying for the three of you and the people you serve...in all things may God be glorified.

Naomi

Mocha with Linda said...

Wow. Thank you for that convicting word.

Kimberly said...

Harry,

Thank you so much for this post. I couldn't agree more if I said it myself! My agreement is not just because I am safely ensconced in my home in the suburbs of Atlanta, Georgia, but because I am willingly supporting my nineteen year old to go and follow the same commission. In January she leaves for four months in Africa. Kenya and Uganda are two of the three countries where she will serve. I expect the questions to begin...."how can you allow her to go to a place where there is such a potential danger?", "you LET her go?!", etc. How can I NOT?! is my response. When my sweet little girl was only a month old we dedicated her to our Lord without reservation. How can we consider going back on our dedication? Is our trust in God's direction and guidance no longer active because she has decided to follow His calling on her life? It's times like these we have to trust Him more, and rededicate her His perfect will.
I will keep your family's safety in my prayers. Thank you for following your call, thank you for providing excellent medical care to the least of these and most importantly thank you for sharing Jesus' death and resurrection to those that must be saved.

Kimberly

Carrie Turansky said...

Hi Harry, Thanks for writing about this and sharing your insight. I have been thinking of you and my daughter and son-in-law Melissa and Peter Morrison and his parents, Jan and Phil, and all those working and serving the Lord in Kenya. We will keep you all in our prayers and remember those in Kijabe and Nairobi and all over Kenya. I know He is watching over you.
Carrie

jel said...

Harry, may you and yours stay "Extra Salty"

Fliterary said...

Harry, I'm praying for you and your family. So grateful for you and your radical faith.

Blessings upon blessings,
Lisa