Sunday, August 28, 2011

Saying "Goodbye."

We've just arrived back in Kenya and survived our first week of unpacking, sorting, arranging, and painting.

But that's not what's on my mind. I'm thinking about saying, "Goodbye," something we who have chosen to serve far away from family and friends seem to have to do too often.

This time around, I've left two sons, my father and two sisters in addition to our friends, those we lean on for support.

Saying goodbye is tough.

Remember Hannah's story in the book of First Samuel? She struggled with infertility, wept for a son, and finally when the Lord granted her request, she raised him only to give him away (to the priest, dedicating her son to God) again.

I think about how hard it must have been for Hannah to say goodbye. Yet just after giving her son up, she prays the most beautiful and interesting prayer. Here is just a part (from "The Message"):

"I'm bursting with God-news! I'm walking on air. I'm laughing at my rivals. I'm dancing my salvation."

Really, Hannah? How can you be rejoicing when you've just given up the very one for whom you wept and prayed?

Hannah must have had a God perspective. Hannah knew that saying goodbye was really, in light of eternity, only a "see you tomorrow."

Yes, we have had to say goodbye too many times. But the one who asked us to follow Him in this endeavor is the same who gave up His only son for me.

God knows our goodbyes will be temporary. Our sacrifices are small in comparison to what has been done for us.

Lord, will you help me pray like Hannah? Fill my heart with the confidence that rests in knowing that reunions are just around the corner.

Harry

5 Comments:

Mocha with Linda said...

As a family member on this side who said goodbye as my sister left each time she returned to the mission field, I relate to this all so well. Beautiful reminder, not only of the temporal aspect of this life, but of how the sacrifice pales when we consider what Christ sacrificed for us.

I'm glad technology makes it possible for you to communicate with your family and readers from Kenya. I remember the days when the only means of conversation were occasional poor-quality short-wave radio phone calls and letters on that tissue-thin blue airmail paper that took weeks to arrive!

Dan Walsh said...

Great perspective, Harry. Only possible from one who's heart is set on eternity.

Keep sharing.

Dan

jel said...

Very cool!



glad ya had a safe trip over

Lynnette Bonner said...

As a missionary kid who grew up on the field, I sure understand! I'll be praying for you as you settle in. And for your family left behind, too. God bless!

Laura said...

Thank you for this perspective. I truly appreciate the gift God has given you for writing and communicating. God Bless as you minister to His people through medicine and through storytelling