Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Prayer of a Martyred Zimbabwe Pastor

The picture above is of a mass gravesite in Zimbabwe, an attempt by a poor country to

bury the dead from a cholera outbreak. I added the photo only
because it helps provide some color to the prayer I've chosen as today's blog post.
This prayer was found among the possessions of a Zimbabwe pastor who was martyred
for his faith:



I’m part of the fellowship of the unashamed. I have the Holy Spirit power.
The die has been cast. I have stepped over the line. The decision has been
made—I’m a disciple of his. I won’t look back, let up, slow down, back
away, or be still. My past is redeemed, my present makes sense, my future is
secure. I’m finished and done with low living, sight walking, smooth knees,
colorless dreams, tamed visions, worldly talking, cheap giving, and dwarfed
goals.

I no longer need preeminence, prosperity, position, promotions, plaudits,
or popularity. I don’t have to be right, first, tops, recognized, praised,
regarded, or rewarded. I now live by faith, lean on his presence, walk by
patience, am uplifted by prayer, and labor with power.

My face is set, my gait is fast, my goal is heaven, my road is narrow, my
way is rough, my companions are few, my Guide is reliable, my mission is
clear. I cannot be bought, compromised, detoured, lured away, turned back,
deluded, or delayed. I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice, hesitate in the
presence of the enemy, pander at the pool of popularity, or meander in the
maze of mediocrity.

I won’t give up, shut up, or let up until I have stayed up, stored up, prayed
up, paid up, preached up for the cause of Christ. I am a disciple of Jesus.
I must keep going until he comes, give until I drop, preach until all know,
and work until he stops me. And, when he comes for his own, he will have no
problem recognizing me. My banner will be clear.

5 Comments:

reba said...

this is great!!!! we should all have that strenght and confidence in the Lord Jesus.

Mocha with Linda said...

Wow.

LuAnn G Sandy said...

Totally dying to self. No longer I that lives but Christ who lives in me.

Mandy said...

Hi Harry,
This is close to home for me. We left Zim 7 years ago and are now in Australia.A dear friend (and bridesmaid at my wedding) was murdered along with several others on their mission station (near Bulawayo) in the mid 80's.
Thank you for the work you're doing in Africa.
Blessings and thanks for sharing.

Philippians 3:12 said...

Howdy - Just read the intro to Breathing Grace - love it love it. I rarely finish a book these days, but I'd like to read through this one.
The prayer you've posted has been hanging in our living room since we married and moved in - one of my husband's treasured posessions. Now if only we will choose to live it out, moment by moment. Blessings as you serve His people! Romans 4:18-21