Friday, May 1, 2009

A Preposterous "Gospel"

Maybe you've seen the ads on TV where a question is asked, "What if roadies ran the world?" or one of the variations on the theme. Well, today, I'm asking, "What if humans invented the gospel?"

What would it look like if I got to make all the choices. Would I dare suggest qualities of a desired Savior in a personal ad?

Wanted: One Savior, attractive, wind-blown hair, funny, personable, willing to forgive my sin, and purchase my entrance into heaven. Not demanding of sacrifice, and certainly not prone to talk about money and generosity, except to bless me and my family. Able to lead on a smooth road towards Glory, not too many bumps, instilling in me the lofty qualities that men admire, but more instantaneous and without all the trials. A Savior who will heal my pains, and help me shed unwanted pounds without dieting. A Savior willing to hand out financial blessings and one who won't keep talking about service of the poor, taking up my cross and persecution.

Hmmm. It looks like a gospel that revolves around me.

But the Gospel is really all about God. Start to finish. He calls, prepares, saves, and leads an undeserving group of followers down a road characterized by things we define as good and things we'd rather avoid: suffering. The Gospel is all about God getting the glory.

So why do we seem so prone to long for a me-centered gospel?

Perhaps because we don't realize that true joy and blessings come from embracing and treasuring Jesus as he really is in incomprehensible awesomeness. Pastor and author, John Piper calls himself a Christian hedonist because he has realized that true joy and satisfaction in life come from a life lived in service for the king. Since he longs for that kind of joy and satisfaction, he gladly gives his life up to make others glad in God, to find their treasure in Jesus, the King of Kings.

This is where I will find true joy.

Oh Lord, help me see the truth of the Gospel without the blurred lenses of my own selfishness.
Harry Lee

1 Comment:

Mocha with Linda said...

Don't know how I missed this post when you wrote it.

I've been struck recently that we even have made salvation all about us, rather than about Him, in many ways. We point to His death for us as validating our worth. Even a song says "You would rather die than to ever live without us." But as we've been going through Romans in our class on Sunday AMs this spring, 5:8 hit me anew: God was demonstrating, proving, and displaying the greatness of His love, by dying for us when we were such pathetic sinners. Doing so exalted HIM. It proved how grand the Love is, not that He was incomplete without us and had to scramble for Plan B to rescue us when Adam & Eve sinned. Seems like some people essentially rewrite the verse as "God sent Christ to die to show how much we were worth.

Don't know if that makes any sense. . .