Friday, December 19, 2008

Walking in GRACE

OK, I want to continue what I began the last time, contrasting walking in the spirit (WITS) with walking in the flesh (WITF). For brevity sake, I'll just use S for WITS and F for WITF. Thanks to Linda and Rosie who added their own versions!
Here's a few more of mine:

F: Wages S: Grace
F: Works S: Faith
F: Doing S: Being
F: I can S: I can't
F: Focus on sin S: Focus on the cross
F: I will be pleasing to God S: I am pleasing to God.
F: About me S: About Jesus
F: I am strong S: I am weak
F: Have to S: Get to
F: Duty S: Privilege
F: Obey him S: Love him
F: Just tell me what to do. S: Just tell me who I am.
F: Cross plus.... S: Cross. Period
F: Stuck in a bad marriage S: Dead to the law, free to marry Christ

The sad and amazing thing we see in churches today is how subtle the gospel of works has crept into our thinking. What Sunday school teacher wouldn't be glad if little Johnny said he was going to try real hard not to do bad things so he could win a gold star? But trying not to do bad things will only find Johnny in the midst of Romans 7. Holding up the law only seems to stimulate our desire to fall. Lift-yourself-up-by-the bootstraps mentality just won't cut it in the long haul. Only grace can bring about real heart transformation.

The way to beat bitterness, anxiety, lust or pride isn't by trying harder, making a list and checking it twice. It's by making Christ our focus, and falling in love with him.

Perhaps, because of the season, I should add one more. How about this contrast? Works gospel: Santa! True Gospel of Grace: Jesus. Remember, Santa rewards niceness and watches for naughtiness, doesn't he? That's just one more example of a works gospel creeping into our thinking.

If I don't get another blog in before the holiday, have a merry Christmas!

One more thing: A local newspaper had an interesting typo regarding a book-signing that I am doing at our local Barnes and Noble: It said, "Harry Kraus will be singing his book, "Perfect."

Me singing: That would be a sure way to run customers out of the store!

Hmmm. I'd better warm up with a few scales, huh?

4 Comments:

Mocha with Linda said...

Wow. Those are good. Caught myself thinking about this just the other day. I was a bit frustrated with my son and thinking "I sure don't feel like buying him Christmas gifts." Then I realized that's why they're called GIFTS, and not his paycheck for being a perfect kid!

BTW - Perfect was incredible. The ending was phenomenal.

jel said...

merry CHRISTmas

jel said...

so what happen did ya sing at the signing? ;)



hope y'all have a great new year!

Vicki said...

I am so glad to discover your writing and your blog today. God bless you for writing about His grace!