Saturday, August 16, 2008

Transition back from Kenya

We're back in the US, but where do I belong?

It's a tough question, but only one of the difficulties facing returning missionaries.

We find few people who understood the world we came from. They mean well, but their questions reveal how little they know about Kenya and the people.

And I find that even though I've made this transition a few times, some things strike me as so wonderful....and so horrible about my own home culture. It's so wonderful....

....to have smooth roads, orderly traffic, and (mostly) considerate drivers behind the wheel.
....to have modern conveniences, easy access to news, and FAST internet.
...to have a home with air-conditioning, nice furniture, and a comfortable bed.
...to have the convenience of Walmart down the street. Everything I need within a few minutes and not an hour away.
...to have orderly trash pick-up and a society that esteems cleanliness and order.
...to have quick access to all of my sons by phone.

It's so horrible....

...to face the drivel of western TV.
....to face ungratefulness of a society with "everything."
...to be reminded at every turn that we are obsessed with "who is at fault" and victims, rather than understanding God's sovereignty.
...to face the temptation of having Walmart down the street.

I miss my friends in Kenya, the fellowship of the "trenches" of cross-cultural mission work in the hospital, sweet mangos, and the seeing the sunsets over the Great Rift Valley. I miss the simplicity of shopping at the local duka, walking to work in three minutes, and the expanse of the Kenyan sky. I miss helping desperate patients, the daily challenge of surgery on advanced disease, and patients who say thank you with a flat of eggs or a bag of tea. Mostly, I miss being consumed by something larger than myself and focusing on helping someone else.

Thanks to those of you who pray for your missionaries, whether they are "on the field" or struggling to fit in back at home again.

7 Comments:

jel said...

I bet ya y'all will miss the sunrise and sunsets there, and the people!


as for the hour it takes to get anything, that's what we have to do if we need anything, ah the joys of living in the country! ;)

will ya be going back?

Mocha with Linda said...

Oh the joys of culture shock!

I laughed about the "orderly traffic" - in Ecuador my sister says they totally disregard the lane markings. Don't know why they spend the money to even paint them.

And I tease her that she's not really bilingual - she now can't speak Spanish OR English correctly! LOL

Brad Sayers said...

Ha! It's so true -- so few understand the experience of living in Africa, the intensity of it all, and the reentry.....I talk about my own experiences in Senegal here http://www.setanewdirection.com/can_you_relate.html but I also provide professional reentry services to those who return....because....being lumped in with those who are being "laid off" from local businesses just doesn't cut it......Cheers, Brad Sayers

susansbooks said...

I cannot even imagine what it is like to live in another country and culture, especially one so foreign to ours! I am grateful to God that you went and told the Kenyans about Jesus. I will add your transition to my prayer list.

Paul Sarchet-Waller said...

I have been away from "home" now for 36 years. What was "home" has now become a foreign land, but sure I miss the cold mornings when the sun is shining, and the clean flesh air, and the birds singing so loud I think there must be a loudspeaker behing the bush!
"Home" is now polluted and noisy, hot and stressful, but family and friends are here.
Which makes me think. I wonder what Jesus would have written when He got back home?

Kelli Standish said...

Oh Harry,
And the red dirt, and the dove songs in the mornings, and the rain storms, and the Baobabs, and the smell of exhaust and dust and campfires all mixed together, and little kids whispering about "Mzungus", and... and... and...

It's that twist in your gut every time you walk down an overstocked grocery aisle. Or leave the water running when you brush your teeth.

It's like grieving for a sweetheart. They're not perfect, but they were the one you loved, perfect or not.

My heart shares your struggle. Even after six years.

Thanks for writing about what you do enjoy here in the US, though. A helpful reminder for days when my longing for my foreign home gets too great!

Cheering you on,
Kelli

Nicole said...

The whole earth sings . . . we just have to force ourselves to listen or find the place where God will let us hear.